Households have been warned of the danger of not checking whether their large appliances are on recall lists, after a house fire in Horsham was caused by a faulty tumble dryer.
Last Wednesday, fire fighters were called to a local property to put out a blaze, which was believed to have been sparked by a dryer that had been recalled, The Argus reported.
Watch commander Alistair Green reminded residents to take a moment to check these recall lists to see whether their dryer, washing machine, dishwasher, oven or other large appliance, had been removed from production due to a fault in the mechanism.
This could mean they are dangerous to use, and could potentially cause a fire, putting those in the house and passers-by in danger.
Among the tumble dryer models that have already been recalled are those made by Hotpoint, Indesit, Creda, Ariston, Swan and Proline.
Whirlpool began recalling dryers in November 2015 after it was revealed fluff from the appliance could come into contact with heating elements, which could spark a fire.
Indeed, it is not just tumble dryers that are a potential danger, as the BBC recently reported one-fifth of Indesit and Hotpoint washing machines sold after 2014 have a safety fault. This amounts to 165,000 appliances that have already been identified, though more could remain in homes across the UK.
For reassurance your washing machine or dryer is working effectively and safely, book appliance repairs in Southampton today.