A tumble dryer has caught on fire in Somerset late last month, leaving six people being treated for smoke inhalation.

Fire fighters were called to a property in Wiveliscombe at 01:30 on Tuesday morning (November 19th) after the large appliance set alight, reported the Somerset Country Gazette.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson told the publication: “Fire engines from Wiveliscombe, Wellington, and Bridgwater were quickly mobilised to the scene, along with the ariel ladder platform from Bridgwater.”

It was added: “Crews confirmed a fire in the laundry room and the Incident Command Unit from Wiveliscombe was mobilised for additional crew. The crews swiftly got to work to extinguish the fire.”

In addition to the fire service, an ambulance was called to the scene, with a spokesperson confirming the laundry room had been damaged by the heat and smoke.

They added that six people were treated for smoke inhalation. Though the cause of the fire is unknown, it is thought to have been accidental.

This is not the only incident where a tumble dryer has overheated this week, emphasising the importance of fixed-price appliance repairs, as a small fire was reported in Maidstone, Kent.

Also on Tuesday morning, fire crews were called to Hazel Avenue to extinguish the blaze, Kent Online revealed.

A spokesperson from Kent Fire and Rescue Service reminded households to be extra careful when operating large appliances, and advised against using them at night or when the house is unattended in case they develop a fault or overheat.

She also recommended removing fluff/lint after every load of dry clothes and registering the appliance to make sure it is safe to use. It is also essential to have at least one working smoke alarm on every floor in case a fire does break out.

Tumble Dryer Sets Alight In Somerset